Gears Forums

Gears 5, & Azure servers-FYI this was also click bate,,,, sorry lol

yup, yup, yup, yup.

3 Likes

I am not sure what you’re getting at here. Microsoft’s Azure servers are used to power some of Microsoft’s most used softwares (like office 360). This means that hundreds of thousands of corporations around the world depend heavily on them, and very, very rarely do they fail. Their footprint is expanding constantly as well.

I mean, if you want to get technical… yes it does. It is a set of servers that Gears 5 uses exclusively to run, host, and manage every facet of the game. No, Azure is not dedicated solely to Gear 5, but it has probably a million times more capacity than Gears 5 will ever require.

This is not the server choosing to allow players with drastically different connection stabilities and regions to play together. It’s the way matchmaking is coded and prioritizes. Yes, two players with drastically different pings will have distinct advantages/disadvantages when interacting with one another in game, but that has LITERALLY ZERO to do with Azure.

A few weeks back we just got TU4, beyond this there has been several soft patches. Considering the game has only been out less than 6 months, i’d say your estimate of frequency is way off. This also doesn’t consider the number of tweaks and stealth patches we may not even be aware of.

Look I get it, this games stability and current condition is leaving a lot to be desired. However, everyone has ALWAYS acted like Gears is the worse of the worse in online experiences. Gears has always been compared to other games “why does Modern warfare have less issues than Gears 2?” or “this stuff never happens in battlefield”. When you break down the core mechanics of the game, comparing a FPS to a TPS is apples and oranges. The way the bullets leave your screen/character model, the trigonometry of calculating bullet path in a FPS and TPS are completely different. There are other factors at play here, other than just ‘crappy Azure servers and a lack of updates’.

Apex Legends, one of the most popular games out there right now, has servers and netcoding that are far from perfect, in fact, by comparison, Gears 5 is better. The tick-rate for Apex is 20 Hz, this is unbelievably low compared to nearly all other modern shooters. Yet, there is WAY less complaining about that games online stability. Probably because it’s easier to mask in a game that’s more about rifles than shotguns.

There is just something about Gears, every single one of them 1-5 that has always felt like you, the player were getting cheated. Placing the blame exclusively on the servers and updates is not realistic.

4 Likes

this will never happen.

why would MS ever go to Google or Amazon for server solutions when they have their own enterprise solution sitting in the barn?

1 Like

We are currently using MS cloud services for supporting MS Team communication and EVERY DAY we have connectivity problems… EVERY DAY… In fact, i JUST sent out an email to my team alerting them that I’m unable to receive msgs from them, so they should call/email me if something urgent comes up.

Plus, most of these corporation are not using these servers for latency sensitive applications… Show me one bank which is using Azure to host their high frequency trading application :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suppose it is one persons anecdotal experiences versus everyone else, so I shouldn’t speak with such certainty.

This is a really great point!

1 Like

To bad you can’t play online 5v5 multiplayer on Office 360.

3 Likes

yup

I have literally did this 4 times now for Gears 5… so I don’t know how to answer on behalf of your experience.
Also, I have been playing when the updates come out and the game tells me I need to reboot the game to connect the the servers again.

I don’t know how to argue this if you don’t accept simple facts. The game is updated more frequently than every three months.

Well, common sense would also dictate that if EVERY gears game has had similar issues with Gnasher consistency, then blaming the Azure servers and lack of maintenance makes no sense either. Hmm… it’s as if it has something to do with the games mechanics…

2 Likes

yup

I think the biggest issues are:

1. Low Playerbase with a larger player base in a poor internet location (looking at you :mexico:)

2. Extremely poor matchmaking system made worse by the low playerbase.

3. Aggressive Lag comp made worse by #1&#2

5 Likes

yup

1 Like

am I reading this correctly?

you think the frequency of updates makes the net-code work better?

1 Like

yup

ya, that’s not how it works. at all

yup

What happens is they do an update an influx of people come back to try the update. Matchmaking improves, they realize the game still isnt where they want or get all the content they wanted, and move back onto other games, user base drops again, matchmaking devolves.

1 Like

Horse = OP

Green Ball = basic concepts of networking and video game development

3 Likes

OP if this is how it worked how do you explain games like StarCraft being playable for decades without any “patches to keep it running smoothly”?

@Drinkands_im is correct. Title Updates bring in an influx of players that boost the games population. it leads to more people closer to you playing the game

1 Like

yup

ok how about battlefield games(BC, BC2), long after they received their final updates

the game is still playable and enjoyed by thousands of people. you would think if this "degradation " took place it would create an outcry from the players.

hundreds of games out there that haven’t received an update in years playing just fine

1 Like