Gears 5, a shell of gears of war

Been playing gears since 2006, the game I’ve been playing this weekend in my opinion is a shell of what gears used to be… I know the coalition is trying to make a good game here but they can do better than this… I’m not going to go into detail here cause there’s no point at this point. Canceled pre order and am hanging up the gears hat. Literally the best thing I’ve seen you guys do was remake gears of war 1. Sorry not sorry if it sounds harsh.

7 Likes

It was at this moment that I stopped reading

20 Likes

Ok, don’t forget, it’s a Tech Test and not the overall finished product. Oh btw, see you in Gears 5.

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Im not disappointed that much in Gears 5,yet…Because the only real thing that matters to me is the Campaign!
Imo. Gears 4 had the worst Campaign in the series,but for some odd reason i enjoyed the Multiplayer for the first time in series also.
So from Multiplayer side of things i see why people are upset in Tech test,but i still had some mindless fun cause i play MP just to collect some skins.

Maybe you spent too much time in Arcade. The normal modes are basically the same as every other Gears with balancing changes.

1 Like

Yes i believe competitive will be good cause i didn’t see Pro players complain at the Tournament earlier this month.
But man Escalation is such a weird game mode…

Escalation is a waste without a full squad in Gears 5. The amount of strategy required is immense.

3 Likes

I only played a couple, but i was kind of confused by the weapons. You pick something to spawn on your side, but then sides swap every round and its on the opponents side? I find that a little weird. Im pretty sure thats the case, not 100% though.

Exactly,also it lasts too long.I’ts so frustrating when i try to play this and then in the middle of the match i lose connection.
So i get nothing for playing it for about 15 minutes or so,except maybe a Ban cause i lost connection.

1 Like

Once you accept that nothing will surpass GoW1 and you embrace the new style you might enjoy it, GoW 1 is my favourite game too.

I’ve loved every second of this beta, people complain but I adapted pretty quickly, the game felt really good for a tech test. It was slower and more tactical than gears 4. I feel i’m in the quiet minority but yeah, the game felt good for me.

3 Likes

GoW 2 was my favourite,followed closely by GoW 1.
The biggest problem for me is that Coalition said they will recapture the horror feeling of first Gears with 4,but they did exact opposite.
Even Phil Spencer as i remember said he wants Gears to go back to how it was in first!

1 Like

I work in customer service and heres the deal. If people like something they’ll tell a friend or 2. If people dislike something they will voice their opinion EVERYWHERE they can .

2 Likes

It was gonna be a lot like GOW4 i knew this right away so im not surprise. Now ill admit like you my favorite MP Gears is GOW1 UE on Xbox One. Its all of what i loved about GOW1 minus the negatives (host advantage, bugs, getting out of maps , crabwalk)

I had the most fun with that game, even if the “rank” modes where not optimal (couldn’t play all modes in rank)

The gameplay was simple but effective. GOW has been going the “hollywood sequel” route with every installement, always bigger, more weapons, more option, but the reality is, the first one is often better cause its simplier/more fun.

At least before 3 and 4 we had Judgment and UE, 2 Gears with way different style, so when 4 released it felt a bit new again (reminded me of 3, but it had been a while since 3). But going into Gears 5 i have an impression of receiving a big patch for GOW4 and just continuing my play of that game… It does not feel new or different in its core gameplay.

Completely agree, I don’t keep up with the forums and news as much as I used to, I complained about that aspect a lot back in the day. This game really does miss that horror/realistic/serious/gory element it used to have, very cartoonish but that’s what I expect as UE aside, it’s had that cartoon art style since 2011 (GoW 3)

1 Like

I think most games go in that direction now though, I’m 24 & started playing GoW 1 in early 2007 a few months after release, I think all of us that started back then are typically older/ more mature and prefer that old school gameplay & look.

The games these days are made for kids, and by no means is that just Gears Of War it’s the same with almost everything on the market, appealing to as many people as possible, everything is just a cash grab now, back in the early days there was more passion and a lot more focus on the actual game, a big part of that is that multiplayer gaming was in it’s infancy which is what made it so good it was just new & simple, now they’re always trying to find new ways to be bigger and better and more whacky which sucks.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I doubt we’ll ever get another multiplayer experience like Gears 1 again since its inclusion and popularity was pretty much a complete accident.

Epic hated how popular the Gnasher was and spent the rest of their time with the franchise adding feature after feature in an attempt to kill that playstyle. TC seems to be following this approach as well and I understand why. At the end of the day they’re a business and it’s in their best interest to appeal to as many players as possible.

Dude the Gnasher is epic in Gears 5.

Personally, I preferred the slower TTK in the Gears 4 Comp tuning but I don’t think I’m the target audience for this game.

1 Like

:-1::-1::-1::-1::-1:

4 Likes