Gears 5 120fps update (Xbox seriesX) question?

Just bought a 1440p 144hz monitor. Was wondering if this frame rate they speak of is exclusive to 4K or if you’ll be able to still achieve 120 fps with 2k. Just wondering if I’m safe with my purchase…?

Why would the framerate be less on a lower quality? That’s how I would look at it.

This is what I’m thinking. Plus 4K 144 hz monitors n tvs don’t exist on the market quite yet.

I just don’t see 4K at 120fps possible let alone if the devs actually use it.

120 frames per second will most likely only be available for the lower resolution like 120 is only available at 1080p for the Xbox one x and not at 4K.

Depends on the monitor and if the HDMI port can can support 1440p 120Hz.

Monitors with HDMI 2.1 don’t exist yet, will do just before / after consoles launching.

TVs on the other hand do, quite a few models.

The best is the LG C9 / CX series.

Screen sizes from 48-77”.

4K 120FPS is easily achievable for MP Gaming as graphics are always toned down compared to SP.

The Devs will probably at launch offer 1440p 120FPS option which tbh, will be good enough until Devs get more familiar with the console.

Halo Infinite & Gears 5 are confirmed for 120FPS MP for Series X.

Plus, with HDMI 2.1, there’s VRR - so framerate is allowed to fluctuate without any tearing.

2 Likes

just like current PS4/PS4pro and XB1/XB1X consoles you will get a very basic "performance mode"or “visuals mode”

TC will determine the best settings for the consoles and that’s it. don’t expect to tinker with resolution, frame rate, or anything else that you normally see on PC games.

also, your not getting 4K@120Hz on the XSX with Gears 5 or any AAA game.

Tetris? minecraft? maybe

Thank you for replying. Input from other people will rlly help out my decision. I just purchased the Samsung C32HG70 (which I can still cancel) which was suggested in a couple articles. Money rlly isn’t an issue but this was one that I saw that checked most of the boxes making sure that I could get 120fps through HDMI.

I don’t prefer playing on a bigger screen or else I would get a TV, but they’re so obnoxiously big, I just can’t see myself enjoying it. I sit rather close to my tv right now and I hardly even watch cable TV or Netflix at all.

I also saw that just 3 or 4 days ago Asus announced 4K monitors with HDMI 2.1. Not sure if I should just wait or not.

Also do 4K tvs have the ability to downscale your 2k at 120 frames at hdmi 2.0??

I don’t really know why you picked this, there’s far better monitors out there.

That’s a VA panel, an older one at that, it’s not very good for gaming IMO.

If money isn’t an issue, you should have got a ASUS PG27UQ or maybe get lucky and the PG27UQX will be out.

ASUS just released a 32” version as well, I believe.

Alternatively, the LG 27GN950-B is an excellent choice too.

But personally, HDMI 2.1 is a MUST - you get the features like uncompressed 4K 120Hz HDR & VRR which is really important.

Well, you’ve gone with a really old, curved VA monitor which actually doesn’t have good response times.

I’d cancel if you can & spend the money on something better.

TVs & Monitors can drop resolution if you want.

So a 4K 120Hz TV / Monitor can also do 2K 120Hz.

3 Likes

I would agree but with gears anything is possible

That asus monitor Does that over display port only. 60hz over HDMI. Unless I’m not reading it correctly. It’s under signal frequency. I could be wrong.

I’m canceling my order for the monitor… i think I’ll just wait it out a bit longer. I’ll prob go with an upcoming monitor or 4ktv 120hz. I’ll prob be worth waiting for.

I would wait for sure.

https://evedevices.com/pages/full-specs

This is the only HDMI 2.1 monitor with full specs / release estimate.

I know ASUS announced theirs but last time I waited for an ASUS it was over 2 years I think :sweat_smile: - doubt it’ll be that long, the monitors will be out because of the consoles so don’t worry!

Btw,

Since you’re looking at 120Hz gaming,

Nothing will ever come close to a 48” LG CX OLED.

It’s the smallest 4K 120Hz TV,

But the Spec Sheet is unreal,

• OLED: The BEST picture quality, hands down.
  • The best response times
  • Very low input lag
  • Proper HDR: HDR10+ / Dolby Vision
  • 4K 120Hz via HDMI 2.1

So if you can manage 48” - you’re literally not going to find a monitor that comes close.

If that’s too large,

Then my advice is to hold out for a proper HDMI 2.1 monitor for now, not like the consoles are out & we don’t even know the stock situation!

Anyway, hope that all helps :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much, that helps tremendously. I would totally go for something just slightly smaller yeah lol. I’ll keep a very watchful eye on that TV in the next coming months, and I’ll look out for any announcements on anything else,

2 Likes