Future engineer ideas

Hey guys,

I believe we will get delta squad as playable characters soon. Perhaps in opposition 2.
Better late than never I suppose.

What I want to discuss is the delta squad potential classes and Baird as a potential engineer class.

I think it would be cool if Baird could buy different fortifications. Perhaps the silverback, and the manned turret.

I like the idea of team boosts, like entire delta squad playing together and get a score boost.
This would probably vastly limited team variety in horde tho, which would be bad over all.

Baird - engineer
Cole - Heavy
Dom - Assault
Marcus - Current

Any ideas or suggestions for other things Baird could buy or other delta squad classes? Any one think we will get Hoffman?

Happy Saturday!

1 Like

That’d be cool, maybe have a few fortifications that all engineers have in common but have each able to build a different top tier thing

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, I’m not sure why the manned turrets are not in the game this year, probably because they are OP.

1 Like

Silverback would indeed be cool to see, however I expect that, like inexperience players and heavy weapons in weapons lockers, the wrong player would insist on grabbing the silverback, empty it and leave it at far side of map all broke to disappear at round end

1 Like

Baird didn’t strike me as a turret/silverback type of engineer but I get the idea. We need to see each of those in Horde, and the idea of unique fortifications is cool.

I’d like to see Baird be able to buy/build a sentinel/guardian with a strict limit (one on the field). And maybe a Hammer of Dawn Ultimate.

If we ever see a Dizzy engineer I feel like he’s better suited to the grease monkey vibe of heavy turrets and silverbacks. Silverback could be a unique, one-on-the-field purchase or an ultimate in this case.

1 Like

This is already implimented in a very limited and unappealing fashion. JD gets the Daddy’s Boy card granting damage resistance, Del gets a card granting improved repair when near Jack, etc.

These cards really need to benefit the other character in question though, or be turned into passives. Preferably both. Most of the passives aren’t particularly useful/interesting as it stands.

If JD is running the Marcus card, Marcus should get some kind of boost too. If Baird ends up with a Cole or Jack synergy card, said characters should benefit too.

Edit: As far as xp bonus goes, make it another passive. “Marcus gets a stacking X% character exp boost when playing with JD or any member of the OG Delta Squad”.

Some great interesting ideas here! Thanks for the input :+1:

1 Like

Here are a few personal suggestions of mine that would enhance the horde experience in my opinion. That feeling of Building a Scout with Speed Boost, Brawler, Execution Bonus, Health Boost, Deposit Bonus. A completely unique play style. Lets look at the idea of Horde as a whole. It’s a game of base building: RTS players love this aspect as it diversifies every game depending on what you build. I remember having beautiful bases. Everything placed nicely. You’re devoting several hours to it so why not. Just like in Command And Conquer.
Below are some fortifications I would like to see but probably never will:

Barriers

(Slow enemy progression+Damage them)

• LV1 - Spiked barriers
  • LV2 - Razor Wire
  • LV3 - Laser Wire

Deployable Cover

(Stacked cover to funnel or reroute enemies and provide cover for allies)

• LV1 - Single stack concrete block
  • LV2 - Double stack concrete block
  • LV3 - Triple stack concrete block

Sentries

(Good offense and fallback option)

• LV1 - Single Barrel
  • LV2 - Double Barrel
  • LV3 - Double Barrel (With armored shield)

Shock Sentries

(Slows enemies, stuns and damages machines+shields)

• LV1 - Single Blast
  • LV2 - Range Increase
  • LV3 - Range+Damage Increase

Manned Turrets

(Good fallback option and offers the engineer some offense)

• LV1 - Single Barrel
  • LV2 - Double Barrel
  • LV3 - Double Lancer Barrel (With armored shield)

Weapons Lockers

(store weapons+Refill ammunition)

• LV1 - One Weapon
  • LV2 - Two Weapons
  • LV3 - Three Weapons

Energy Converters

(Can be used for scouts to run excess weapons to base & dismantle for extra energy)

• LV1 - Destroy unnecessary heavy weapons for energy
  • LV2 - Increase energy output
  • LV3 - Increase energy output+Cooldown

Radar Pilons

(Can be used to aid detection of enemies with tac-com)

• LV1 - Detect enemies through walls with tac-com
  • LV2 - Range increase
  • LV3 - Range Increase+Show Health

Shield Generators

(Can be used to defend valuable fortifications like weapons lockers)

• LV1 - Deploys a blue shield bubble (Cannot fire out of it)
  • LV2 - Increase damage it takes before recharging
  • LV3 - Increase damage taken before recharging

Silverback

(Adds pilotable mech that can punch through even the toughest boss & offers fallback option)

• LV1 - Basic Silverback loadout
  • LV2 - Adds Missles
  • LV3 - Adds steel plating for protection+Upgrade to Vulcan Minigun

Fabricator

(Build additional Fabricator for secondary bases )

• LV1 - Allows the construction of an additional fabricator

Additionally

1. Allow for Boomshields to be used as additional cover since their already existing textured items
  2. Add in 1-50 Bounties
  3. Allow players to assign a class to any character
  4. Remove locked skills and Allow players to choose 5 skill cards from a pool of all available skills in Horde to allow for more custom play-styles
  5. Remove in game perk system (That only damages team play, energy collected and turns everyone into a lone wolf)
  6. Add in periodic challenges such as “Complete a wave in 1:30.” Or “Get 10 Headshots” Granting weapon crates at your base which contain a selection of random weapons
  7. Increase the size of Horde Maps. The current size is too cramped for proper base building and movement management
  8. Allow for custom/saved loadouts based on characters chosen. Simple weapons such as Snub/Boltock. Lancer/LancerGL. Gnasher/Overkill etc

I would also like to see the class system brought back. I know it’s a touchy subject and I am perfectly okay with the Gears 3 style horde aswell. But Engineers should have access to every fortification and upgrade path. I like how all energy collected now goes to the fabricator. That was a good decision TC. I like the addition of a healer/support class. It helps on those Inconceivable waves. I would like to see more emphasis on class usage such as Heavies using heavy weapons. Give them more incentive to do so. And please bring back Explosive Headshot. That was so satisfying.

1 Like

I could see deployable cover making the game way too easy (as it renders map layouts kinda meaningless defensively), and also being easy to exploit in various ways.

I like the idea of engineers all having a different unique fortification they can build. It makes sense that Baird could deploy something like a Guardian (though it should require expensive ammo refills), whereas maybe Del could deploy DAVE, who automatically goes around slowly repairing fortifications and stuff, along with some passive bonuses to either Del, or the group.

As for Kat… maybe a sniper turret?

1 Like

DAVE could be a separate character altogether - basically a JACK clone but with different skill cards etc.

Hopefully all of the new characters will be sufficiently different from existing roles, but also balanced and strong enough to go toe-to-toe with the current bunch. I’d like it if there was more incentive to play as other characters rather than rely on the same old team composition of Kait, Del, JD, JACK etc.

2 Likes

I don’t think the silverback is such a good idea. I remember in gears 3 that thing cost way too much to repair and it got dmged super fast. It wasn’t a mech it was a glass cannon. You had to stand still in order to use rockets. Now if it was an Ult for Baird that would be acceptable and pretty bad ■■■.

Deploy-able cover would make things easier but people would abuse it. I would like to put cover in certain spots where there is no cover. Or put a block of cover on top of a waist high cover so it provides better protection. I can picture people using deploy-able cover to block off certain entrances and funnel enemies into one spot that is watched by a dozen sentries.

If Baird could build different forts and they turned out to be better than what Del can build, than everyone at masters will say NO DELS. If Baird gets here I would like him to have a different set of perks and not a Del clone but he can’t be overpowered or more importantly, under powered.

I do miss the manned turrets. I can see why they got rid of them but it didn’t change a thing. Now were just using tri shots on weapon lockers instead. Were doing the same thing they just made our job harder. Like putting a 2nd lock on your door. If someone goes through the trouble of picking the first one they’re gonna get in. They just need to do it twice.

The hammer strike I don’t miss. I remember soldiers hording money to call in that thing. They’d piss away our entire budget and if for some reason it wasn’t enough were out of cash. Like the silverback, if it was an ult I can see it happening.

2 Likes