First tap spawn

So why exactly do we have to pick up the fab and drop it down again to spawn the first tap? I mean there’s not a single lobby I found where people aren’t doing that. Why not spawn in the first tap (or two in Frenzy) right when we spawn into the map or at least when we pick up the fab for the first time without the need of dropping it?

10 Likes

That would be better, because we’d have more time to set up the base. Some people still do it though, but often leads to taps on the other side of the map.

1 Like

Are you asking for logic? You clearly have suffered a slight head knock as you have forgotten who the developers are.

6 Likes

I think it’s because they want us to capture tap(s) while there’s a timer. I have seen situations where team mates don’t co-ordinate on Wave 1 and missed a tap or both, which is on team mates’ fault for following the guy with Fabricator.

If I was to start Wave 9 on Frenzy solo, it might be a cheese or too easy to capture all four taps alone solo, rather than the game giving timer to capture them all. You can only manage to capture like 1-2 before the wave starts, so it seems like it’s encouraging to capture taps during the wave or to play with human players who would capture the other taps and working together.

1 Like

I would honestly prefer if the game would force tap-spawns near the fabricator when you put it down for the first time. Certain maps have taps in location that are almost impossible to defend.

6 Likes

This would be best, because it would allow the freedom to set up the base wherever you want and still have those taps in proximity to defend and repair.

1 Like

It’s probably possible with close quarter classes like Blademaster with Energy Surge, Infiltrator and Brawler.

The top middle of Bunker was probably the hardest I’ve done (for the team, not me) as Brawler in Op 4,

1 Like

Then the fab would end up in the same place every single match, I kind of like how the random tap spawn makes it compulsory to try out different setups, even though it becomes an issue on certain maps where the first taps can spawn in places that have no suitable adjacent setup spot.

2 Likes

True, but Grenadiers/Boomshot Scions can still mess them up way too quick when you’re busy somewhere else for maybe 7 seconds.

Or Blooddrive for example, when they’re in the middle of the map. There’s only so much you can do with Lahni while half the map is shooting at you.

Which would lead to repetitive setups. It wouldn’t encourage players to try less optimal setups. If you let a random have control of Fabricator, they will choose the easiest setup whether it’s the District Arcade room or spawns, most of the time.

2 Likes

Or the host restars the lobby and wastes 2 minutes because playing off-meta isn’t possible for some randoms.

1 Like

Yes, but let’s be honest here. Having a less than optimal setup often isn’t fun either when there’s a bigger chance that a Kestrel, Matriarch or Swarmak just comes in and easily wipes all the base fortifications and entire team out. There’s pros and cons to all of it.

For a Lahni in the middle, most of the team would be one side and could be lending “cover fire”. You could have snipers, explosive classes killing Grenadiers and Scions that are targeting the Blademaster. And there’s pillar covers for Lahni to use. I know it’s not easy to survive or escape a Boomshot Scion.

With an Infiltrator, both Blademaster and them could dominate the middle of map, defending the taps easier. They would only come from two lanes anyway, the stairs and side of map.

1 Like

With a full, communicating team, sure. But getting a full squad together nowadays is pretty tough.

It might just be me but I enjoy setting up in uncommon setups because they are totally different experience to a meta which you may have repeated several times. They are even more doable with a team of classes on a power trip. After not being able to earn anymore XP or cards and you’re playing for fun, I don’t really mind the challenge to test the limits because that’s also fun. There is nothing to lose, if the team wipes.

4 Likes

Maybe with friends, definitely not with randoms. I get where you’re coming from, but your situation isn’t that of the average player.

1 Like

Does anyone really think taps, collecting energy, and buying perks is fun? Always just seemed annoying to me. Totally would make sense to show the first tap though.

1 Like

Well to me it feels something worth protecting for since you get additional power AND health from them which on Master can make a significant difference to staying alive once double damage kicks in. In addition it pushes you to play different locations since they’re random on most maps, giving the Horde a slight variation with every match you play on the map.

The perks are basically additional fixed cards for each class that you upgrade during the match. Very often quite handy too. I personally don’t mind them tbh.

2 Likes

I played horde on 2 and 3 at a friend’s house a couple of weeks ago and I have to agree that it’s liberating to not have to think about the energy economy of 4 and 5. I had a lot of fun replaying those games for a day.

1 Like

I also wish they’d let taps be captured during the post wave screen…and repairing, for that matter. God forbid we are able to be a little more productive for those few extra seconds

2 Likes