Do you warm up before playing serious matches?

I define “serious” as modes in which you care about your rank.
I used to do a few min of warm up in a game mode that I don’t care an about (social, dodgeball, AI, whatever) to get my rhythm down but I don’t bother anymore. Not that I couldn’t benefit from it. I just don’t really care as much. Just playing for fun.

1 Like

Nah, usually i just jump right in KOTH and try to put in the effort in and play seriously to win. Nowadays, not so much due to poor matchmaking and more than half the time people are just not putting the effort in at all.

I didn’t do warmup.
I thought that was for physical exercise, not virtual or mental exercise?
Unless physical exercise is twiddling our thumbs and fingers?

It’s weird how many randoms I get stuck with that throw matches. I’m not even talking about montager/clutch scenarios. Ranked TDM where onyx level players pause like they’re texting, or they rush a heavy cross repeatedly.

1 Like

I used to, a little bit. But I don’t care about my rank so much these days. I play solo and there’s only so much I can do. It’s a lot less stressful that way. I just try to improve my own skills. Evading effectively while landing my shots is something I’ve been focusing on a lot lately. (When the servers aren’t being complete trash)

As far as warming up goes though, it’s not a physical warm up so much as it is a mental one. Playing this game at a certain level changes your brain chemistry. I don’t need any studies to read to know this. I notice when I’ve been playing a few minutes and especially if I’m really into it, my reflexes feel more on point. I’ve gotten my bearings, knocked out any kinks I may have gotten from not playing, and I feel like I’m thinking about and watching 50 things at once. I feel this hyperalertness that i only get from playing this game and putting in my all. You don’t go into a match cold feeling that way. At least I don’t.

2 Likes

Muscle memory is what allows us to learn patterns, such as those used in video games. Combat athletes warm up their muscles so as not to sprain them but going over the patterns in their muscle memory is another kind of warm up. A guy like Floyd Mayweather doesn’t mentally process every move, many of them are patterns and responses etched in his muscle memory and it’s similar with games. Our timing can be sharp or it can be off. It’s usually sharper after playing a couple matches and will taper off with fatigue.

1 Like

ranked i dunno warm up, whats warm up???

now i feel like sh*t, so you want me to do some crazy YOGA position while i clutch???

If you could, I’d appreciate it. Otherwise, the opponents might put you in the position of “Downward Facing Dog” and no one wants that.

3 Likes

I actually found my response times and aim improved if I played the Black Ops 4 Beta before I got on Gears. The twitch movements for some reason warmed me up without screwing up my Gears memory.

Interesting. I don’t play many other games so I don’t know how they would affect me. I know friends who play Fortnite get slaughtered when they get back on gears because they stop relying on cover.

I have a couple friends who up-A the first few corners of of spawn so they can get a sense for the lag in that lobby. Makes no sense to me but they’re very good players so if they get benefit from it, I’ll take their word for it.

I actually do that too, lol. I can figure out how bad a lobby will be just running out of spawn half the time too.

1 Like

If onyx players does that, either they are satisfied with the rank they are now and so purposely ruining the team chances of winning or they cant be bothered to focus and play seriously.

God knows what goes through the minds if they do this.

1 Like

I’ll get on the mic and coach these guys because I assume they’re noobs. I’ll be letting them know a power weapon is up and right next to them, or that they need to switch guns. Then I’ll see that they were onyx 2 or something. Really baffling.

2 Likes

All the more reason that shows visible ranks is completely meaningless.

2 Likes

I find relaxation is EVERYTHING for me. If I’m planning on going into a sweaty match, I’ll be tense. If there’s lag I’ll be tense. If I’m chill then my hands just seem to know what to do. I’ll even type here between rounds to pull my attention off the game for a sec and settle my nerves.

When I was in combat sports it was the same thing. Tension slows you down, mentally and physically.

So you’re always tense? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well I’m usually pretty tense physically when I’m in a sweaty match.

I’ll try and relax more and see what happens :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Seriously what is with people stopping mid run and standing there. See it all the time lately. It’s almost as bad as people joining to sit in spawn. Seen that twice yesterday, why are you hiding in spawn? Stop being a ■■■■■ and go kill things, or at least distract them so I can kill them… I might need a break from gears… too many things just piss me off lately lol

1 Like

Yes , I find a good warm up to play Horde in 60fps on the xbox one x. You set the difficulty to casual and use only gnasher and play horde waves 1-9. It is a real warmup where you have live targets to practice all your shots(Reaction shots,slapshots,back a, up a) also your movement. The movement is limited to core but you can practice functional movement instead of Hyperbouncing as it goes further in the long run. Heres a vid of me doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dGt2CVCS84

1 Like