Diamond is the new onyx tier

Gears 4 was the opposite for me. Onyx 3 was often the best players i came across. As a stuck Onyx 3 player myself, i still almost always get matched against Onyx 3 to D5 players. There is just something about the players that get stuck at the O3 grind. They are just always a pain in the ■■■. Often I’ll see D5 players in the players stats and be very surprised that that is their rank. A really good Onyx 3 player makes me think they are a solo player. An average D5 player makes me think they are a stack player.

6 Likes

This wouldnt alleviate the current issues we have but i think there should be a rank past masters. Like once you break 80,000 gp or so.

1 Like

The problem with adding more ranks is that it would make the current system even more grindy than it already is. I agree that the new system is more forgiving, but it also takes longer than the old one.

If that’s the direction TC wants to go, whatever. Ranked barely appeals to me at all anymore anyway. I don’t think I’m alone in saying that a ranking system should not require 40+ matches to determine whether or not you’re in the top 1%.

1 Like

This was definitely the case. I think it was because O3s always played their best, and were sweaty every match. They had to be. I was also a stuck onyx 3 for pretty much the entire time I played Gears 4, and RIP to anyone who stood in my way on my road to diamond.
Now with Gears 5 I made diamond far easier than I made onyx 3 in gears 5.

1 Like

This is all there is to it. TC made TOO MANY concessions for the “gibs me points for EBERYTING, TC! I’m a Master because I SAY SO! NYUH!” crowd. I’m Onyx 2 in KOTH and I’m telling you, the level of competition I see at my level is nowhere NEAR what I used to face in Gears 4 at the same rank. You get points just for not being a complete potato. It’s embarrassing how easy it is to rank up. All the crybabies who wanted their egos massaged got what they wanted, and we’re all suffering as a result.

1 Like

Yes I said from the start its wayyy too easy. Anyone can hit diamond easily. And masters is BARELY harder.

3 Likes

onyx? being generous i see

3 Likes

I’d say the average onyx tier in gears 4 seemed about on par with most of the masters players in 5. This would have been before they added in the additional diamond ranks in 4 though, I’m not sure how that changed up the ranking system

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

Everybody: we want this!

1 month later: We don’t want this!

another example of people begging TC/Epic for something then once they get it they complain about it. Everybody asked for a ranking system that was straightforward and transparent, and now we have one. TC could’ve done far more important things but decided it was a priority.

2 Likes

Rank system should be a priority thats where the lasting appeal is in this franchise PvP.

1 Like

call me old fashioned but Gears did great with NO ranking system, in fact, it was far more successful when it didn’t have one (yes there were lots of other reasons for that I’m sure, but still)

2 Likes

I can see that. D5 in G4 is like masters in G5. For the most part, diamond players usually know wtf they are doing.

I finally got masters in TDM. And I had to win a lot. I did win. Bought I also played well and had a little luck with some good teammates. By no means would I say its easy.

Good for you that you find it easy. You have to win at Diamond/master to rank up. Or do REALLY well at onyx with a loss. Isn’t that what we have been wanting since day 1?

I really like this Ranking system. Its transparent. I go up with a win. Limit the points lost on a loss by playing well. I know exactly what I have to do to rank up. This beats the old system of goin 7-3 in escalation and still getting -300 points cuz the 1 round loss gave me -1000.

Shouldn’t you just be humbled that you are this good?

Maybe gears should have a weekly trials of osiris type mode for rare skins to challenge you.

3 Likes

Not anywhere close to being true. I’ve gone up against “master” players who legitimately play like they are silvers.

5 Likes

masters is the new onyx tier, all you need is the right team in the match or an op connection to out upload everyone or lag body them taking 6-7 shots before you die consistently every life, anyone can get masters/diamond 5, theres not been a good skill gap since gow3

1 Like

The transparency is good. It’s just that the numbers need tweaking. The GP system is cute and all in that it’s easy to understand, but it’s not accurate. Elims are silly. For example one snub bullet in the penis is counted the same as a gib or a snipe shot. They should revert back to the old points system and convert those to Gears Points somehow as a start.

4 Likes

It would probably be good to separate kills and assists, though as someone who leans more towards a support player it never seemed like the gears 4 assist points were scaled well (even though I know it was damage based). It’s like you either got almost all the points or just a few for an assist.

So something like full points for kills, unless it’s some one else’sdown then you get half points. And then it would be nice to find some way to determine point for downs and for assists as well.

I agree with this.

I rarely face a Masters player that I think is good. Most of them wouldn’t have even gotten to Diamond during season 1 when we had the original ranking system.

1 Like

And I’ve played onyx players who are better than masters.

Everyone has a bad game. Most of the time, diamond and master players know what they are doing and are good.

2 Likes

As have I. But I’m talking about people who obviously don’t know how to play at all. And I ran into multiple ones in a single night.
It’s not just masters. I’ve had friends who never made it out of Bronze in any previous season, gears 4 or 5, and are now Golds. I have friends who never made it out of Gold in any other previous season, again neither 4 nor 5, and are now diamonds.
I’m not being hyperbolic, this ranking system does not represent a players skill.

6 Likes

You know a diamond when you see one. These so called diamond in 5 aren’t good at all. I seen some look confused on king.

3 Likes