Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Gamepass is why TC is greedy

To each their own. Im still getting free cosmetics without a season pass and still many more to come and free maps, game modes, hero characters, map builder for horde/versus maps.

Gears 3 had a season pass and still had cosmetic microtransactions.

2 Likes

Gamepass or not, they’re not funding post-launch support without any source of revenue from the game.

1 Like

Right there with you

1 Like

A lot of them were and in 4 most of them were idk where you been . I had almost every character and gun skins in 4 with those loot boxes things that’s all I’m saying

2 Likes

True but that was the minority the majority is free cosmetics in 3 and 4… Now it’s the minority is free and
the majority is pay for

2 Likes

Yes, here is something I just posted on another thread. It’s like they feel they won’t get enough money to fund post launch content. It creates a mess!

Gears 3 SP gun skins were miniscule and most of them were 3 bucks a pop outside of the pass.

And sorry to break it to you and @OnyxCrimsonBlur but there were several map packs that divided the player base even further that weren’t covered by the SP like Forces of Nature. Season Passes NEVER guarantee all the content, they can easily start selling more stuff just like Epic did in Gears 3.

In Gears 4, congrats on your luck I guess but not everyone is blessed by RNGesus. Grinding horde day in and out for weekend long skin loot boxes, with some of the worst offenders being the UIR skins going for 4000 credits each about a few months into Gears 4’s lifecycle. Those credits were not generous mind you, and those UIR skins were only gonna be around that weekend so if you didn’t have time to grind to GAMBLE, then you pay around 10 bucks for a pack or two and GAMBLE with those.

Not to mention that Horde was even worse in 4 because the skill cards were tied to GAMBLING booster packs, so yes loot boxes affected gameplay.

And the best part? Gears 4 also had a season pass.
For ugly Vintage skins and private matches, because I guess skrims are worth the extra $60.

I know I seem really passionate about Gears 4’s monetization but I can’t stress how intrusive and soul-sucking it was to where I couldn’t enjoy the game anymore despite Versus being the best it ever played in a Gears game. Only ActiBlizz can top the levels of nickel and diming with Black Ops 4.

TL;DGAS: Season Passes are an outdated gamble only justified by a few games and Gears has never had a proper, all encompassing SP. And I’ll be damned if we ever go back to gambling like Gears 4.

1 Like

Forces of Nature was covered by the SP. There were two free packs and the rest of the subsequent DLC was by SP, which if you bought the special edition gave you the SP at a discounted rate.

(https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/gears-of-war-3-season-pass
The Season Pass allows you to order (at a 33-percent discount) four downloadable content packages for Gears of War 3. Season Pass purchasers also receive the exclusive Liquid Metal animated weapon skin. The Season Pass includes:

• Liquid Metal Weapon Skin Set
  • Horde Command Pack
  • RAAM’s Shadow: Pack 2
  • Forces of Nature Map Pack
  • Fenix Rising Map Pack)

The only good thing about Gears 4 model was that you could create almost everything by scrap and you could get credits from just playing the game to buy boxes, then scrap items, and you also got the currency from leveling up in the game. It was nice just to play. The rest of the stuff, the boxes themselves and some of the grind was a bit intolerable, but at least I could create almost any customization I wanted just by playing, scraping, and creating.

3 Likes

Oops. I stand corrected on Gears 3’s Season Pass then, guess I remembered wrong.

Gears 4 however…

• Many of those cards that you can scrap for now weren’t scrapable until the latter half of Gears 4’s life cycle. Those packs were only available for either a weekend or a week (possibly 2 at times).

• It took a long outcry for credit adjustments in Versus to be more generous; Horde was the optimal way to grind credits because Vs. matches gave you chump change. Horde would get monotonous really fast.

• The scrap would have been best to invest in skill cards for horde to be able to have an easier time grinding Insane mode for credits and get the scrap from the packs, so scrapping would have to be an afterthought.

Gears 4’s monetization was just…awful. Truly, truly awful. The scrap system was basically spending your wages at the workplace to better grind more credits to roll the dice again. It’s absolute madness.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with monetising a game for post launch support. I’m more than happy to contribute to the store if it gives one of my favourite games longevity. The coalition are taking the piss though how it currently stands.

Microsoft want their games to have microtransactions which in turn gives the game long term support. There is nothing wrong with that. Especially given the fact there’s no season pass, map packs etc.

However this is all on the coalition. It’s them who chooses what goes in the store and for how much. They are the ones cutting content and are drip feeding it to us. They like to make a point that stuff was created post launch in the store but as we all know that gears 2 curb stomp has been in the game since the beta.

100% that game pass has lead to the game being monetised but there’s no good reason other than greed on TCs part to abusive it’s player base as much as they have. Fear of missing out. Splitting weapon packs between multiple purchases. Only part of weapon skin sets are gonna be in the tour for operation 2 and if you haven’t already purchased the rest then you’re S.O.L.

Look at that BS with the onyx guard. We’re gonna have to grind once again in the tour to unlock him. Fair enough, something cool to look forward to. HOLD UP though. He’s just a skin for the COG gear. So we’re either gonna have to grind for that character first, but seeing as I only play versus that’s gonna be impossible. So I’ll have pay for to unlock him. All so I can access a skin I would have already unlocked, such disgusting practices by the coalition.

2 Likes

Grinding COG takes maybe 8 hours max if you have no idea what you’re doing, a couple hourd less if you do. The amount of grind in the hopes to get a character in 4 was twice that. With no guarantee you’ll get them in a pack at all.

1 Like

I’ve only got a few hours every other day and all I want to play is ranked execution. I couldn’t care less about completing 18 rounds of Escape or 60 rounds of Horde zzzzz. It took me several days of ranked play just to meet the require 60,000 xp bounty for one token.

So I’ll play through operation 2 and no doubt grind my way through the tour. I’ll unlock onyx guard but I’ll only be able to use him if I pay for COG gear. :man_shrugging:t2:

season pass worth the money LMAO, season passes are a waste of time and money, for something that everyone eventually gets for nothing or less if they are dumb enough to buy micro transactions

You know developers get paid to have their games on game pass TC has no excuse for how they decided to release this (in my opinion) unfinished product

2 Likes

Gears 4’s season pass was worth it???

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Paid DLC only works for massive games, paid maps on this and your be playing TDM with the same other 9 people that bought it over and over again. This is by far a better method when done correctly, but ofc it hasn’t been…

1 Like

Nothing new here OP. Been saying something similar regarding Gears5 and GP for months now.

MS now has an excuse to go full force with their monetization and treating all their IPs like f2p games; the Gamepass. And if you guys think this is bad, wait till you see what they’ve got in store for us in the near future with Halo Infinite. A game that has already been confirmed to be a game as a service and have a similar structure to the Destiny franchise. You can also tell just by looking at what they’ve got Ninja Theory working on what the future will look like in terms of MS IPs.

So sit back, relax, and clench your butt cheeks as tight as possible cause next gen is going to be a long and bumpy ride for most people who aren’t accustomed to games that are heavily monetized.

And something tells me Gears6 is going to be much, muuuuuuuch worst…

I honestly don’t know how people are defending this current system? It kinda baffles me lol

Game pass games don’t include season passes or dlcs unless it’s in the context of something like Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.

Bruh, this coming from the guy who defends RNG lootboxes?

Don’t get me wrong, not defending the pricing, but for you to say that…?