Choosing Characters for Versus

This is a beginner question for sure and I couldn’t find any other posts so I’m sorry if it’s somewhere I missed.

I have customized my versus [COG] and [Swarm] characters, but neither are who I am when I get into a public match. My goal at first was preference, then last night I wanted to use up credit bounties.

Are versus characters assigned at complete random each match? Does one have any control over picking your character? Ex: I just ended up getting JD in 3 attempts even though I had Marcus selected.

1 Like

Normally joining a match in progress will result in a random set up until you start a fresh match. Just keep playing.

2 Likes

If your playing social your chosen character wont be available till after first match.if you leave a lobby rejoin another same will still apply…

1 Like

Thank you very much everyone! That clears it up!

2 Likes

By default, when a match starts the characters used are the 10 default characters (JD, Kait, Reyna, Del, Oscar, and the 5 Drone-class Swarm). Subsequent matches will switch you to your chosen character.

If you leave the game and someone else joins then they could end up playing as the character you were prior to leaving. E.g.: if player A play as say, the Black Steel UIR but leaves, then player B who joins after could potentially become the BS UIR (even if they don’t own the skin) because it’s one of the available characters at that point in time for that particular game.

2 Likes