Can i make a Gears Fan Game?

So i just want to make a gears custom game in Unreal 4 and i was wondering what the rules are if i can make the project.

1 Like

Doubt anyone from tc will reply, but will tag @TC_GEARS they might answer.

If a company’s name isn’t Nintendo, you should be fine. As long as you don’t sell it that is.

1 Like

I’ve seen multiple mods for Gears 1 for PC, where people have somehow ripped content from Gears 2 and 3 and added it. No idea if the game has dev approved mod support or not but mods have been available for years.

I’ve also seen someone who claims to have built a fully playable Gears 3 campaign for PC as well. It hasn’t been released to the public yet but he has been sharing videos of it for months.

If these things are still going on and haven’t been shut down yet, it’s probably safe to say you can go ahead and do your thing. As long as you make sure to give The Coalition credit for the content you’re using and do not sell or monetize the project, you should be fine. The worst that could happen is that you’ll be told to stop by them.

Who knows, maybe they’ll like your ideas and use them in a spinoff or remake of their own, much like what happened with the new RE2: Surviving Capcom: How a Fan-Made Resident Evil 2 Remake Led to Horror Game Daymare: 1998 - IGN

Do it.

Thats how DayZ got made.
Fans started modding Arma3 and now it’s a stand-alone game.
(My best friend designed their logo as a fan of their work and never even got paid for it.)

I’m sure you can find a way to rip assets out of the packaged game files and reverse engineer the game to make your own.

1 Like

Only if Del will die and JD will live! :grin:

1 Like

Del Lives*

Fixed it for you.

Del, JD and Kait dies*
Now I fixed both of us! :grin:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

If only…

1 Like

Biggest things are monetization, using TCs assets as they are without modification could be an issue. Might be a bigger thing for XBS than TC though.
Where you live is also a big thing. Say in the US you might have a harder time if they do choose to do anything, I doubt they would though. But say in like Russia (■■■■ Russia) you could pull some all-time high piratry and get away with it.