Alpha Point - UE5 tech Demo ( Tuesday, July 20, 1:20PDT)

Alpha Point" Unreal Engine 5 Demo: Unlocking Artist Potential

Time: Tuesday, July 20, 1:20-2:20 p.m. PDT

Presented by: Kate Rayner and Colin Penty (The Coalition) with Epic Games

In 2019, Gears 5 pushed graphics to new heights as the “tech showcase that sets new standards” (Digital Foundry). With sights on the future, The Coalition and Epic Games are working to set a new standard of technical excellence for next-gen gaming. The “Alpha Point” Technical Demo features real-time demonstrations of Unreal Engine 5 on Xbox Series X|S including the implementation of next-gen features such as Nanite, which allows for unlimited triangle budget, and Lumen, which allows fully real-time lighting with none of the traditional overhead tasks. In addition, The Coalition will share a real-time character rendering test on Xbox Series X and their preliminary findings on next-gen character creation with Metahuman. This technical talk offers first-hand, in-depth lessons for developers looking to achieve the best real-time results from Unreal Engine.

5 Likes

3 Likes

It makes sense given Epic make the game engine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this is a random but i want to thanking TC for fixing my account, i couldn’t login in to forum about 2 week.

just take a look at the amount of HLOD and optimization work they did to keep the 30fps on a outdated console.

those orange boxes are for cover placements which i think they said working with blueprints in UE4.
can’t wait for another informative GDC talk by Kate Rayner and Colin Penty.

3 Likes

Perhaps we will finally get a look at the “our dear saviour rod fergusson” skin we all been waiting for🤔

Update: No video yet but a few notes from it :slight_smile:

The picture itself is ironically blurry, from (https://www.pcgamer.com/alpha-point-unreal-engine-5-tech-demo/) who have a decent write up of the demo

2 Likes

let’s compare this to gears 5 :

Hero gameplay characters roughly 80,000 triangles in UE4. Almost 2x more than Gears 4.
Cinematic characters roughly 100,000 triangles. 50% more than Gears 4.
Hero weapons roughly 15,000 triangles. Similar to Gears 4.
Non-hero gameplay characters roughly 60,000 triangles. Similar to Gears 4.

1 Like

The Making of “Alpha Point”—UE5 Technical Demo | GDC 2021

4 Likes

Post alpha-point findings.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What he said😃

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

incredible!

5 Likes
3 Likes

Looking good.:blush:

Included the video with timestamp:

3 Likes
5 Likes

4 Likes

Lyra is a customizable Unreal Engine 5 shooter from Epic Games
this is highly customizable game with procedural tools that unreal engine offers, if you guys have any experience with unreal engine you can start block-out and create your own game maps and beyond.

i wish we had something like this in unreal editor for gears.

Edit : you can learn unreal engine here :

Edit 2 : i think if new gears of war support Mods we can create our own maps in lyra and seamlessly import it to gears 6. Wow we need mod support for gears 6.

4 Likes