About the skill level of ranked players

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #1

So I am aware that there are countless threads (mostly speculative) on how the ranking system works. What I am curious about is what people thing about the skill level of ranked players. For example; I was talking to @III_EnVii_III about the relationship between Gold and Onyx players. Envii was making the point that Onyx players will always outperform lesser ranked players, even if they are not the MVPs of a match. Now I do think that there is some truth to that, on average, Onyx players do outperform Golds, and MVP does’t mean you are the best player (although it is a fairly good indicator) but, as an onyx, I have personally have encountered Golds that have either been as good or even better then me. Now this doesn’t happen all too often. But it would seem the me that there is a closer gap between Gold and Onyx, then Onyx to Diamond.
Thoughts?

[Main] Ranking System Discussion, and Feedback
(Krylon Blue) #2

This is true but the gap between a true Gold and Onyx is fairly large too.

(THICC IDADDY) #3

Maybe they were actually diamond/onyx players that got a low placement for whatever reason

(Krylon Blue) #4

Or a smurf account.

(III EnVii III) #5

TC have clearly stated how it works.

You have to essentially be a slayer and have a good K/D to achieve the higher ranks. You have keep increasing your hidden Skill Rating to keep your rank moving up.

Most of the time, people are doing as expected in fair matches, good in matches with lower ranks and then losing against higher ranks.

I didn’t say ALWAYS. I said in my opinion, all the games I’ve been in. I wouldn’t want to speak for other players.

There will be cases where someone is a high Onyx working his way up or a smurf account.

But a True Gold player is highly unlikely to completely dominate and outperform a Onyx player.

Not really - maybe Gold 3 to Onyx 1 but I was Onyx 2 for a long time running with Diamonds and being able to hold my own.

Now I’m a more true rank at Onyx 3 but I still feel like my real rank is a Diamond 1 (which TC did say I should really be / would be no doubt in another mode). But I know why I won’t ever get it and that’s cool.

But all the Golds I have faced will struggle against me and my team or even if I’m solo.

I’ve had matches where I run solo and it matches me with mainly Golds and maybe silver ranked players and I just run riot. No bouncing, just simple strafing and it’s too easy.

(KonTroL RaNgeR) #6

I feel its more about consistent wins. Ive beaten onyx teams as gold as i rank up

(ChochixBeaR) #7

Funny. I feel as im nowhere near good enough to be an onyx player, yet here we are. Im onyx 3 in TDM, onyx 2 in KOTH and onyx 1 in escalation. I play 100% solo too. :disappointed:

(III EnVii III) #8

Playing solo does help boost your rank a lot if you play consistently and get in wins more often than losses.

It’s the only time I see big gains in %.

(Relax Mxte) #9

I don’t really judge skill based off ranks, mainly because the people I play with struggled to break into Diamond on Escalation while I got it no problem. I would say they’re better players than me, but the ranking system just favoured me.

The ranking system also can’t notice the intricate things that occur during a match. Sticking with Escalation, a guy getting one kill at the start of each round could be the reason why your team wins the power weapon. Or someone could throw a perfect smoke that stuns three people which is why your team wins that fight. Things like that are part of the many reasons why I don’t judge someone off their rank.

(THE ALLMIGHTEE) #10

I finally hit onyx 1 imat 33%towards onyx 2…won 4 out of 5 matches yesterday 2 of which the other team was higher ranked and not 1% was added to my progress wat the hell is going on coalition.?? I getting bulljived its stillon 33% …theres no excuse 4 that period!

(AliceInChainsaw) #11

@DAVID_THE_CLOWN

Depends on the mode too.

I’m D3 in KOTH but think it would take me more time than I am willing to spend to get as close as 95% O3 in TDM, for example…

Hell… I’m a bronze 2 in Arms Race lmao… (but that is mostly lack of games… i only placed in it. Don’t have the patience to wait for it to find a match)

(Me0wMix CatFood) #12

A lot of it is situational. I’ve seen plenty of diamond players who consistently lose 1V’s with me if we’re fighting on the side of the map but most of the time, they are working with teammates who cross me out and they win their matches. Those kinds of players are diamond because they have better teamwork. Solo, they might not be.

I’ve also seen golds will with decent skill who don’t rank up because they don’t play the objective and their teams lose.

There’s also connection issues. A lot of people don’t want to hear that but for me, the quality of the connection is everything. This season I soared past any pervious ranking highs in just a few days because the connections were good on those days. Most of the time though it feels like I’m fighting against the connection as much as the skill of the other player.

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #13

I appreciate the feedback. But I would humbly request that you keep the conversation in the spirit of the topic; namely, the different skill sets for between the ranks.
The ranking system itself is certainly frustrating at times, enough so that TC dedicated an entire thread to this [Main] Ranking System Discussion, and Feedback

Thank you😁

@AliceInChainsaw
Exactly the same here in terms of Arms Race. I’m honestly not sure why they brought it back.

(THE ALLMIGHTEE) #14

Nevermind my opinion dont matter anyways peace

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #15

Nah man, your opinion matters. I’m just trying to keep the thread on topic. But I do agree that the ranking system can be ridiculous

(THE ALLMIGHTEE) #16

I just realize the topic i was reading the other threads yeah man theres was a player on silver 3 and every1 else in the game was onyx and above and he
destroyed …he doubled up everyone in kills and caps

(thesuicidefox) #17

There are many different skill sets required to be a “good” player. Gold level players typically can do some of these skills well (eg. Gnasher fights) but suck in other skills. Onyx players will be good in more skills, and not “suck” at anything in particular, just that they are weaker in some areas. A diamond player will be good at everything and amazing at most things.

That’s the difference. A gold player can be an amazing support that plays tactically for the objective, but put them in a 1v Gnasher fight and they get bodied. Or they could be amazing at 1v’s but have no game awareness and make bad decisions that cost them the game. And onyx player basically has fewer weaknesses.

(DAVID THE CLOWN) #18

I think that is especially true when it comes to power weapons. Weapons such as The Longshot, Dropshot, Embar, etc… take a lot of practice to be able to use, let alone use to your advantage. So because of this you will have onyxes and Diamonds the most well balanced players in terms of weaponry.

(Al Bundy 33hero) #19

I get what you’re saying but gotta disagree about needing to be good at everything to be diamond. Most of my Diamond friends are simply brilliant gnasher players. They rarely use a lancer and are not great strategists. They have more of a “montager” style and they sometimes lose to Gold level players with a good lancer cross.
I’ve also run into some really good, diamond-level players who have incredible aim and smart strategies, but a pretty weak shotty game because their movement isn’t great.

That’s one thing I like about this game, the diversity. Although it’s a bit gnasher-centric, everyone can excel in their own way.

(Rundan) #20

I would say anyone who’s in Diamond are probably big gears fans and play a lot. When it comes to Onyx and all the ranks below it I feel like almost anyone can get into them so ya, the larger gap would be Onyx to diamond rather than Gold to Onyx. I got into Onyx just playing casually. But diamond I had to grind for it.

It really depends if you’re a solo player or someone who lobbies up with people. I wish there was an exclusive solo rank that was based off of a different formula. Too many matches I get teamed up with the worst people that just throw every match. I’ll pull positive K/D’s and play the objective and still lose matches due to an incompetent team. But I guess part of that is my fault playing alone competitively. Too bad I’m an introvert. If I rolled out with a full squad every match getting diamond would be a joke.