650 ping the entire match... how?

versus

(AliceInChainsaw) #1

For real though, how does a player stay in the game with 650-700 ping constant throughout the match?

I am kicked if I go over 250 for a minute. (I’ve tested this with torrents running in background)

Also, why would you play like that? At 250 it’s a joke, i can barely pick up a weapon without warping 800 times.

(Stoic Slab) #2

Bigger is better. 800 ping? That must mean that my internet is going…like…800 miles per hour or something. Its so fast that my guy can use instant transmission!

(Al Bundy 33hero) #3

I’m in the southwest US and I see pings like this all the time. mine is usually 24-33 but the game has had me at 400 ping for a couple of matches and it basically felt normal for about 3 seconds at a time, then teleport, over and over. Sometimes you teleport right up to an enemy and get an easy kill. Other times, you’re dead and you’re not sure why.

It’s frustrating but I have friends with bad connections who are used to it and do well. Well enough to get Onyx 3 often.

(Omen LP) #4

I played with a couple of Australians a while back and ended up on an asian server… my ping was around 250… I found I couldn’t do anything… I don’t know how people playing with high ping.

(AliceInChainsaw) #5

:smiley:

(Asurazu Rasu) #6

Mine has been extremely inconsistent for some reason when there’s no change to my environment at all

I check at the start of the match I’m at 30.
Timer starts everybody is moving and it goes to 52 and stays there.
Then I check the scoreboard during the middle of a round or any interval and suddenly I’m jumping from 117-180 for 30 seconds then it drops back to 50?

(AliceInChainsaw) #7

wired or wifi?

(Asurazu Rasu) #8

Wired

(AliceInChainsaw) #9

That’s weird man. Shouldn’t fluctuate that much. Nothing eating up your speed right? Also, wired direct or using a power line adapter?

My games usually go as follows and I can tell a little about what to expect by my ping:
I usually get between 5 and 16 ping on the closest server
Most common connection is 22 - 28
Then 29 - 36
Then 42 - 60
Anything higher than that is usually only 61 - 68 but then I know I’m in no man’s land on a faraway server. Things get… weird.

The only time I fluctuate higher than that is if I alt-tab out or if something is eating bandwidth in the background. (forget to close download or something) but it immediately drops back to whatever ‘the norm’ is for that server when I correct it.

I’m only on a 300mb/s connection and speedtest shows a pretty steady 388 or so for the most part. I’m wired direct with new cat 6/coax.

(Me0wMix CatFood) #10

The game has been doing that to me. I play with friends in many different states and the lobbies sometimes fluctuate in ping. Mine tends to get it the worst but I’ll have friends go from 5 to 90 at the same time I’m going from 24 to 140,sometimes higher. Really frustrating.

This is mostly if we’re being hosted on the west coast. If it’s a friend in TX or FL, far less likely, even though my ping might be 55.