Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Black Tusk Developer JackFelling's Avatar

Black Tusk Studios Podcast #1: RODCAST with Studio Manager Rod Fergusson

Hello everyone!

Welcome to RODCAST #1: Black Tusk Studios Edition with Studio Manager Rod Fergusson!

For those of you who are new to the forums or the community, the "Rodcasts" are podcasts (audio interviews) with Studio Manager Rod Fergusson at Black Tusk Studios. We gather questions in advance via this thread, as well as live via the Twitch stream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rodcast1.jpg 
Views:	875 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	815
    Image by Master T 813

The first Rodcast #1 will be taking place on Thursday, May 15th at 5:00 PM Pacific Standard Time!
    Mark it down in your calendars and tune in live.

Rod (as our Studio Manager) is very involved with our game teams, creative direction of our projects and is a huge Gears of War fan. We're happy to take your questions below, simply submit your top questions below in this thread by Thursday, May 8th at 10:00 PM Pacific Time.

Thanks for participating in our very first Black Tusk Studios podcast and we look forward to talking with you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rodcastcollage.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	816
    Images by Master T 813, I BChaps I, Parasidian, and FonsoQ.

Submit your questions below!
    Last edited by JackFelling; April 28th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter for Gears of War and Black Tusk updates. @BTJackFelling

Level 8: Theron Elite DrazaTech's Avatar
    Thx Jack for the update.

Rod is god.

Question:

1Is it possible to explain to players why reticle was introduced and center aiming was re-introduced to GoW J even though it brought back things like back-packing? 2And why melee was introduced to the lancer in GoW J? 3As well as emphasis on a more prominent melee on all weapons where as in GoW 3 it wasn't as spammy / prominent?

4Will we ever get PC ports of 2, 3, or J?

5New GoW 60fps?
    Last edited by DrazaTech; April 29th, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
    TBA

Level 8: Theron Elite I BChaps I's Avatar
    Yay RodCast!

Questions coming in a minute...
    Twitter: @BChapy
    EPIC Community Reaper July 1, 2013 -- August 20, 2013
    VT✈✈✈Hokies✈✈✈VT

I sort of enjoy collecting questions (forces me to read them all and many are thought provoking)
    I also figured it would be easier for them to see all of the questions if there were somewhat organized. In case you can't tell, I'm adding all of the questions asked (some of them are pretty general) and leaving out the rants and suggestions.

Black Tusk Studios and Forums
    • Who is Black Tusk Studios? Can you elaborate on some of the people who work there, what they do, and what they've done in the past?
    • It is still really early in the dev cycle, can you talk about what this part of the design cycle is like?
    • Now that our forum accounts are linked to our XBL accounts, are there possibilities of allowing us to have unlocks in-game based on being a forum member or something similar.
    • Are you working on 'updates' to GoW3 or GoWJ?
    • What does your role as 'studio manager' entail?
    • What plans do you have for E3?
    • Has anyone from Epic besides Rod joined Black Tusk?
    • Has anyone at Black Tusk worked on Gears in the past?
    • What is the hardest part about starting this new game at a new studio?
    • What are you guys doing to get fan feedback? (and what are you doing with it?)
    • Jack, what is your role at Black Tusk?
    • How big is the current Black Tusk team? How big do you expect it to be by launch time?
    • What are the most prominent things you've heard from the community?
    • How often do you plan on doing RodCasts?

Based on Old Games - MP
    • Can you elaborate on why certain changes were made between GoW3 and Judgment?
    • Why was the center-of-screen aimer brought back in GoWJ even though it caused old problems to return (such as backpacking)
    • Why was the melee introduced to the lancer in GoWJ?
    • What do you personally like/dislike about GoW1, GoW2, GoW3, GoWJ (each)?
    • What do you think the largest "take-away" from each game has been? (What did you learn from each)
    • What do you personally feel defines GoW multiplayer? (What is it that makes it fun?)
    • What are your thoughts on the K/D ratio?
    • What types of maps do you like the best? (symmetrical, vertical, ect.)
    • Were there any fan reactions in Judgment that surprised you?
    • What are your thoughts on the Active Reload? Do you like the damage boost in (GoW1-3) or out (GoWJ)
    • Do you like the interactive maps and climate changing maps?
    • What is your favorite VS MP mode?
    • How do you feel about the permanent cross-hair in GoWJ?

Based on Old Games - Campaign
    • What is your favorite moment out of all of the Gears campaigns?
    • What are your thoughts on the Declassified system from Judgment?
    • What are your thoughts about the segments on GoW1 that caused players to split up?
    • Can you confirm that ALL of the locust are dead after the end of GoW3?
    • What is your favorite Boss (or miniBoss) fight from the previous games? (what made it special?)
    • Why were the Kryll killed off? The fans loved them!

Future of GoW - General
    • Do you guys have a 'theme/motto' for this game yet? (crunchy; bigger, badder, more bad-***; ect?)
    • Are you looking into destructible environments or armor?
    • Are there any new mechanics you're looking at adding? (any olds ones removed?)
    • Do you have any plans to show any 'tech demos' as was done with GoW2 showing off the meatcube and large amounts of grubs?
    • Is the possibility of a 'theater mode' being investigated?
    • We know you're a fan of CoOp. Does this mean we can expect split screen to return?
    • Do you have any thoughts of how Kinect could possibly be implemented?
    • Is the team getting direction from previous GoW games, or are they looking more at 'spin-offs'?
    • Are you looking at all into more character customization?
    • How long until you think we will see a trailer/teaser?
    • If you had to decide right now, GoW4 or GoW:SomeOtherName?
    • If you could choose ONE feature that didn't make it into an old game to add to the new game, what would it be?
    • Are you aiming to hit 60 FPS, or will that put on features (due to the consoles power)?
    • What would you say is your overall 'Goal' with this new game?
    • Will the game be available on XBox 360?
    • What direction are you heading with the soundtrack? (horror-esk like GoW1, hard/gritty like GoW2, ect)?
    • People have mentioned a 'change in direction' of the game. What can we expect because of this?
    • Where does BT want to see GoW in contrast to where EPIC brought the series over the years?
    • Now that Chris Perna is no longer working on Gears, what changes can we expect to see in the art style?

Future of GoW - MP
    • Do you plan on trying to cater more to the casual player or the competitive player?
    ---Do you plan on bringing in any 'Pro' players to help with the MP?
    • Do you plan on removing any weapons?
    • Will the Locust Return?
    • Will DBNO return?
    • Are you going to focus on having more even 'hit-boxes' in this game?
    • Are there any modes that you can confirm will or will not be returning?
    ---Most are asking about Horde, Overrun, FFA, and Guardian
    • What are your thoughts about character customization in Gears?
    • Are there any plans to implement a 'Reaper' style reward for players again?
    • Do you feel like 10 players is the right amount for MP? (should we have more or less?)
    • Are there any plan to implement a 'league-play' style system for competitive?
    • Are you more focused on quantity or quality for maps numbers?
    • Are you willing to add fan-favorite characters to the MP roster (even if they aren't in campaign)?
    • Do you plan on using the power of the 'Cloud' to allow for a more complex game?
    • Do you plan on having a visual 'true-skill' ranking system?
    • Has there been any discussion of a completely different style game? (RTS, FPS, Fighter, ect)
    • For a long time, the fans have pushed for highly customizable private matches. Will this finally be added?
    • Is there any chance that we will be able to see 'ping' indicators?
    • Do you see GoW having any gametypes that move away from 'tactical' gameplay and are more 'chaotic'?

Future of GoW - Campaign
    • Do you plan on using existing characters for campaign?
    • Do you plan on sticking to the canon created by the books/comics/games?
    • Do you have a time-frame in mind (prequel/sequel/sidequel)?
    • What are your thoughts on having a locust campaign (all of it, or parts of it)?
    • Do you plan on returning to the 'dark, gritty' feel of GoW1 and RAAM's shadow that the fans loved?
    • Have you ever considered having Gears leave Sera?
    • Will a spectator mode be a polished feature, or another 'after-thought'?
    • Will you try to push for more of a strategy based campaign or a run-and-gun style game?
    • Is there any chance of getting a better look into the origins of the locust?
    • Will we get to see the dark side of the COG Like Jilane?
    • Will this game be able to return to the roots (in campaign) where the game felt like a realistic (but exaggerated) war scenario, where cover, flanking, and fear of death were extremely important?
    • Do you plan on having an celebrities come in and do voice overs again?

Other
    • Many people have been asking about Reapers, Special Events, and XP. You've answered the questions in a few places, but could you please elaborate in the stream (so more people can hear/understand)
    --ex: Will the Reapers, XP multipliers, Special Events ever change?
    • Is there any talk of making ports of old games?
    • What are your thoughts on the possibility of a GoW show on Xbox?
    • How do you pronounce "Pelles"?
    • Who is your favorite Gears character?

For Fun
    • Is Adam Fenix wretch or Phone?
    • Have you seen Tickerball? (any thoughts?)
    • Are there plans to include Easter Eggs in this game?
    • What has been your favorite Easter Egg out of all of the GoW games?
    • What's your favorite type of food and/or drink?
    • Do you have any beard maintenance tips?
    • How are you liking VC compared to Cary? (and do you have a bigger office now?)
    • What does imulsion smell like?

-updated through post #392
    Last edited by I BChaps I; May 9th, 2014 at 07:24 AM.
    VT✈✈✈Hokies✈✈✈VT

Level 9: Palace Guard S4VAGExGOLI4THx's Avatar
    -What are your plans with the retro and sawed off? In other words how do you see the future of the online multiplayer. Cater to more casual players or to increase the learning curve back to what it used to be? It's a broad question.

-Any idea on who the main antagonists will be? A new species? Will locust (If they return) and cog work together to defeat a new enemy?

-Will the Locust return?

-Any idea on who the story will be focused on? (Protagonist)

-Overrun, beast, horde to return? Combination of any of these? New Co-op mode?

-PLEASE explain to people that Down =/= Kill

-More questions to possibly come...
    Last edited by S4VAGExGOLI4THx; April 30th, 2014 at 06:38 AM.
    █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ Ɠ Ř ℒ Ɨ Λ Ƭ Ƕ ▂ ▃ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █

Now, that our forum accounts are linked to our XBL accounts, are there possibilities of allowing us to have unlocks in-game based on being a forum member or something similar.
    VT✈✈✈Hokies✈✈✈VT

Level 6: Mauler Elite KING MARK xNIRx's Avatar
    When 343 took over the reigns of Halo they released a big update for Reach. Do Black Tusk have the power to do the same for Gears and if so are there any plans to?
    EAT, SLEEP, CONQUER, REPEAT!
    HAVE YOU EVER SEEN GERRARD WIN THE LEAGUE?
    https://twitter.com/King__Mark

Quote Originally Posted by KING MARK xNIRx View Post
    When 343 took over the reigns of Halo they released a big update for Reach. Do Black Tusk have the power to do the same and if so are there any plans to?
    No, Black Tusk has no power over Halo Reach!
    VT✈✈✈Hokies✈✈✈VT

Level 5: Grinder AR Musha Gundam's Avatar
    For Rod.

What do you and your team plan to do the Easter Eggs? Make it best, more cooler easter eggs?

What about Epic Reapers Easter Egg in Campaign? Would it be good to make that special Easter Eggs for to show respect to Epic Games Studio that passed into Black Tusk Studio?
    GFC Member #28
    Horde Master - COG Killer
    ​Epic Reaper Hunter - Killed: 13

Yes or No, will Horde mode make a return to Gears?
    Support the NEXT GEN GOW WISHLIST
    Support the CO-OP WISHLIST

Quote Originally Posted by I BChaps I View Post
    No, Black Tusk has no power over Halo Reach!
    When I read over my post again my inner Grammar Nazi kicked in.

Level 2: Cyclops Enigmatic Erica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmzy27 View Post
    Yes or No, will Horde mode make a return to Gears?
    Timmyz wastes no time getting to the hard hitting questions.

I can't think of any questions that won't make me look stupid right now. I'll be back. Probably. Excited for the event, nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Carmine
    Are you Lauren Faust—THE LAUREN FAUST—from the Epic Games Forum? That's awesome!
    ...Not really.

What's up Rod

What are your thoughts on character creation/customization and how it could possibly work in the next Gears title.
    X EPIC REAPER
    Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me.
    The carriage held but just ourselves and immortality.

Level 9: Palace Guard Elysium V3NGFUL's Avatar
    Hi Rod. Take your time reading my questions.

Here are my questions:

General/Company Questions

- How was Black Tusk Studios founded? Do you and rest of the developers feel excited developing the new Gears?
    - Can you give us more details of what you and the team do?
    - Is being Studio Manager a big responsibility?

Campaign Questions

- Will the next Gears be a prequel or sequal? Do you have an idea who the main character is and which period is it set in?
    - Are there any new characters introduced to the Campaign and if so, can you give us a few hints regarding the new characters?
    - Will there be certain parts in the Campaign where players have to split up like in Gears 1?

MP Questions

- Will the next Gears become more competitive for those who are, like by introducing 4v4 playlists?
    - Is COG vs Locust returning and possibly any more factions who are being added?
    - Any new weapons being introduced and weapons brought back from Judgment to be put in the new Gears?
    - Is BT considering in bringing back the Retro Lancer and Sawed Off to the new Gears? If so, can you elaborate what changes are being made to said weapons?
    - is the next Gears medal-based or kill-based or even both? What is the next Seriously achievement going to be tied to?

Other Questions

- Are special events being considered in the new Gears and could you tell us if new events are in the making?
    - Is the next Gears going to have more realism such as armour being destroyed by gunfire or explosives?
    - A lot of players have been reset in the past 3 titles of Gears. Are you and the rest of the team more prepared for it this time? Reason why I am asking this is because I have been reset 3 times on Gears 3, all completely unintentional and each time I had less Onyx Medals than the last. I want reassurance that you are taking this into consideration and players like me do not have to feel...scared of putting the disc in every time.
    - Will there be a system or rewarding players like Judgment did with the Epic Reaper? If so, could you give us information on what the system is what players need to do to earn it?

I will edit this post if I can think of more questions.
    Last edited by Elysium V3NGFUL; April 30th, 2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Retired Reaper Weeks 22-24
    Twitter: @I_AM_V3NGFUL

|-|-| Hordefestation |-|-|

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Erica View Post
    Timmyz wastes no time getting to the hard hitting questions.

I can't think of any questions that won't make me look stupid right now. I'll be back. Probably. Excited for the event, nonetheless.
    These rodcasts are not to be wasted, when he did them for GoW3 he kept answering questions you could easily google. I ask everyone to ask what matters not what he had for breakfast that day or some nonsense.
    Support the NEXT GEN GOW WISHLIST
    Support the CO-OP WISHLIST

Who are the people at Black Tusk that the community can interact with? Epic had Quinn, Pete, Lee, Joe, Jim, etc. I feel like a lot of significant changes and improvements were made through direct contact with these people. I would love to see Black Tusk have a similar relationship with the community, so if the answer is just Rod, can you please convince more devs to get on Twitter?

Level 9: Palace Guard Elysium V3NGFUL's Avatar
    What's 5pm PST in UK time? If someone could tell me, I'll appreciate it.

EDIT: no matter I know now. Just looked it up. It's 1.00 am though so got to keep track of the date.
    Last edited by Elysium V3NGFUL; April 28th, 2014 at 08:13 PM.
    Retired Reaper Weeks 22-24
    Twitter: @I_AM_V3NGFUL

|-|-| Hordefestation |-|-|

These rodcasts are not to be wasted, when he did them for GoW3 he kept answering questions you could easily google. I ask everyone to ask what matters not what he had for breakfast that day or some nonsense.
    Yes, but that said, they're not going to reveal if Horde is going to be in the game this early on, so your question is actually one of those questions. Horde 3.0 is something they will reveal just before something like next year's E3 or whatever and you'll be able to play it there.

The problem is, they aren't going to answer most of the 'hard-pressing' questions.
    It is still really early in development...

In case you didn't catch it between the streams for the last 2 games:
    - the podcast announced plenty of information...but only when they were ready, it wasn't simply as an answer to a question
    - the questions they answered were normally something either entertaining or something they could elaborate on to show off what they are doing
    - these streams are for them to interact with the community, not for us to rail them with hard-hitting questions
    VT✈✈✈Hokies✈✈✈VT

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium V3NGFUL View Post
    What's 5pm PST in UK time? If someone could tell me, I'll appreciate it.
    I think it's 1am.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast